"The ambitions of god and human clash amidst the horror of a dying world. Neither human nor demon, the newly-forged Nahobino and his friends must decide what is worth saving... and prepare to sacrifice everything in its name. In a world without its Creator, which path will you choose?"
The protagonist, a high school student living an ordinary life, wanders into another world called "Da'at." He then fuses with a mysterious man Aogami and becomes a "Nahobino," a condemned being, throwing himself into a battle between gods and demons.
Aside from the Standard Edition, in Japan, the game has a 14,800 yen Limited Edition called Shin Megami Tensei V First Limited Edition "Forbidden Nahobino" Box, which includes:
- Special Case (based on the Tree of Knowledge from the game, the design of the case includes the eyes of the characters)
- Demon Artbook (A5 size, 116 pages)
- Mini-Soundtrack (35 songs in 2 CDs)
- Series Masterpiece Medley String Quartet Arrangement (A compilation of popular songs from the Shin Megami Tensei series, arranged in a string quartet.)
- A Nahobino T-Shirt (Design is a mixture of the protagonist's white and Aogami's blue.)
In the West
The Fall of Man Premium Edition, sold in the West, includes:
- Demon Hand Book
- 2-Disc Soundtrack
- Collectible Box
- Sling Bag (6'' x 11.5'')
There is also an alternate Steelbook edition, which only includes the steelbook.
"All the fountains of the great deep broke up and the windows of heaven were opened. In this lightless age of corruption we long for the dawn of a new messiah."
Producer Kazuyuki Yamai has said in an interview with Famitsu that he wants Shin Megami Tensei V to sympathize with the troubles that the world is currently going through such as terrorism, nuclear weapons, unemployment, the uneasiness about life retirement and other troubles at home and abroad. He wants people to look at the "characteristics of the time."
Shin Megami Tensei V is developed in Unreal Engine 4, the first time the engine is used by the developers. In the same interview, it was mentioned that said engine creates a new environment to work with when creating games as it allows them to create something and immediately check it out on the game screen, it gives the creators more time to spend on coming up with ideas and trial-and-error.
The game is expecting a release on the Nintendo Switch. On the team's choice of console, Yamai has expressed that the Switch is "charming," due to its ability to let users play HD quality games freely on the go. He also remarked about its flexibility as a hybrid console.
Since Shin Megami Tensei V is the first home console release from the mainline series in a while, he wants to create a hybrid with the charm of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne and the fun demon upbringing elements of Shin Megami Tensei IV. As such they are experimenting with new elements to add to demon fusion.
In a 2017 trailer of the game, the keyword "Shekinah Glory," which translates to "God's Miracle" could be spotted. Yamai wants players to think about that keyword, and get a "true understanding" of it once they play the game.
The game was first teased on January 13th 2017 as "Shin Megami Tensei HD," or a "brand new work in the series," later revealed to be its fifth installment in October 23rd during a livestream, and that it would plan release on the Nintendo Switch.
During the Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase on July 20th, 2020, the game was shown off for the first time since 2017. It was also announced the game would receive a simultaneous worldwide release in 2021. A year later, on June 15th, 2021, during E3 2021, it was announced the game would release on November 11th in Asia, and later on the 12th in the West. The English version will receive both English and Japanese voice acting.
A few days later after the announcement at E3, on June 17th, a Daily Demon series was started at Atlus JP's YouTube channel (atlustube), which showcases a certain demon from the game each day. This campaign will go on until the release of the game, showcasing a total of 214 demons.
In addition to that, another series, called "Shin Megami Tensei V News" began on June 21st, showcasing and explaining information about the game. It follows a format of a regular real-life news program, with Chiaki Matsuzawa as its announcer. Although the videos have been uploaded only in Japanese, they have been given official subtitles in English, Korean and Traditional Chinese.
- Box Art
- Game Logos
In Other Languages
|English||Shin Megami Tensei V|
|French||Shin Megami Tensei V|
|Italian||Shin Megami Tensei V|
|German||Shin Megami Tensei V|
|Spanish||Shin Megami Tensei V|
- Shin Megami Tensei V is the first game in the series to have a simultaneous worldwide release, although the game will come out in the West a day later.
- Shin Megami Tensei V shares many of its UI elements with Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE, such as skill icons, color scheme and the level up screen.
- From 6/17/2021 to 6/20/2021 free gems were given as a login bonus in Shin Megami Tensei: Liberation Dx2 to commemorate the reveal of the release date of Shin Megami Tensei V.
- Official Japanese website
- Official English website
- Official Korean website
- Official Traditional Chinese website
- Nintendo Switch page (US)
- Nintendo Switch page (CA)
- Nintendo Switch page (UK)
- 『真・女神転生V』 初回限定版「禁断のナホビノBOX」の内容をご紹介！, atlus.co.jp (June 16th, 2021)
- Shin Megami Tensei V Is Being Made To Sympathize With The World’s Current Troubles, Siliconera (October 24, 2017)
- Atlus On Why Shin Megami Tensei V Is A Nintendo Switch Game, Kotaku (Brian Ashcraft, October 26, 2017)
- Shin Megami Tensei V Story Details, Gameplay Footage Shows Off Combat, World Exploration, Fusion, Persona Central (Reggy, June 16, 2021))
- Shin Megami Tensei 5 - Tokyo Mirage HUD comparison BuffMaister, YouTube.com (June 18, 2021)
Shin Megami Tensei V
|Other||Aogami - Sophia|
Tao Isonokami - Yuzuru Atsuta - Ichiro Dazai - Miyazu Atsuta - Hayao Koshimizu - Sahori Itsukishima
|Tokyo||Jouin Academy - Shinagawa Station - Takanawa Tunnel|
|Da'at||Shiba - Hamamatsuchou - Tree of Knowledge|
|Terminology||Nahobino - Cathedral of Shadows - Bethel|
|Mechanics||Demon - Turn Press - Moon Phase System - Alignment - Fusion - Race and species - Magatsuhi Skills|
|Lists||Bosses - Skills - Items (Vending machines) - Ailments - Side Quests - Demons|
|Promotion||Daily Demon - News|