"The ambitions of god and human clash amidst the horror of a dying world. Neither human nor demon, the newly-forged Nahobino and his friends must decide what is worth saving... and prepare to sacrifice everything in its name. In a world without its Creator, which path will you choose?"
The protagonist, a high school student living an ordinary life, wanders into another world called "Da'at." He then fuses with a mysterious man Aogami and becomes a "Nahobino," a condemned being. Returning back in the real world with some of his classmates who also found their way in Da'at, they are informed about demons bleeding into their world, and are invited to join Bethel, an organization that fights these demons, which they accept.
After getting accustomed to their normal lives as high school students, an emergency arises, where the protagonist's high school, Jouin Academy, has been raided by demons.
- Main article: List of Shin Megami Tensei V Characters
- The protagonist - a third-year high school student of Jouin Academy. After finding himself in Da'at after a tunnel collapse incident, he fuses with a mysterious man, becoming a Nahobino and using that power to fight demons.
- Aogami - a mysterious man that suddenly appears in front of the protagonist while he gets attacked by demons in Da'at. He proposes to him that he takes his hand if he wishes to live, letting them fuse together.
- Tao Isonokami - one of the protagonist's schoolmates of the same year. She has been aware of the existence of demons, and since her youth has she worked at Bethel, a global organization that fights demons in the real world.
- Yuzuru Atsuta - one of the protagonist's friends at school. An honor student with a strong sense of justice. After wandering into Da'at, he also accepts the invitation to join Bethel, in order to protect his only relative and the peace of Tokyo.
- Ichiro Dazai - a schoolmate and friend of the protagonist. He has a carefree personality. He joins Bethel alongside the protagonist and Yuzuru after their experiences in Da'at.
- Hayao Koshimizu - the Prime Minister of Japan and the head of the Japanese branch of bethel. He seems to have a physical resemblance to Aogami.
- Miyazu Atsuta - Yuzuru's younger sister and only relative. She is shy and weakly.
- Sophia - the Lord of the World of Shadows. She aids the protagonist in fusing demons and similar facilities.
- Shohei Yakumo - a mysterious man determined to slay all demons, and confronts the protagonist in Da'at.
- Nuwa - a mysterious demon allied with Shohei. She says she's been by his side since he was young.
- Abdiel - the archangel that leads the forces of Bethel.
- Enemies that can be encountered now appear directly in the overworld, rather than as a silhouette.
- The Moon Phase System has returned as a mechanic.
- Magatsuhi skills are special types of skills that cost a full Magatsuhi gauge to execute. A majority of these skills are only available to certain races.
- Enemies can give away their own species' Essence, which allows the protagonist to implement their skills and affinities onto himself or his demon allies.
- Miracles are special abilities that grant certain various benefits. Each ability is to be unlocked separately, in exchange for Glory, which can be found in Da'at.
- A new ailment has been added, which roughly translates to "Illusion." (幻惑, Genwaku)?
- Buff and Debuff skills, such as Tarukaja, now only last 3 turns and are separated into single-target and AoE types. They still stack in ranks.
- Hama and Mudo-type skills now deal regular damage, with a chance of instant-kill to enemies that are weak to the respective element.
- Skill Potential, a spiritual successor to the Skill Affinities of Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse, now apply to the protagonist as well, instead of just the demons.
Aside from the Standard Edition, in Japan, the game has a 14,800 yen Limited Edition called Shin Megami Tensei V First Limited Edition "Forbidden Nahobino" Box, which includes:
- Special Case (based on the Tree of Knowledge from the game, the design of the case includes the eyes of the characters)
- Demon Artbook (A5 size, 116 pages)
- Mini-Soundtrack (35 songs in 2 CDs)
- Series Masterpiece Medley String Quartet Arrangement (A compilation of popular songs from the Shin Megami Tensei series, arranged in a string quartet.)
- A Nahobino T-Shirt (Design is a mixture of the protagonist's white and Aogami's blue.)
There is also an alternate edition, which includes just the game and a Jack Frost pin inside a black box. It can also be bought together with the limited edition of the game for 16,280 yen.
In the West
The Fall of Man Premium Edition, sold in the West, includes:
- Demon Hand Book
- 2-Disc Soundtrack
- Collectible Box
- Sling Bag (6'' x 11.5'')
There is also an alternate Steelbook edition, which only includes the steelbook.
"All the fountains of the great deep broke up and the windows of heaven were opened. In this lightless age of corruption we long for the dawn of a new messiah."
Producer Kazuyuki Yamai has said in an interview with Famitsu that he wants Shin Megami Tensei V to sympathize with the troubles that the world is currently going through such as terrorism, nuclear weapons, unemployment, the uneasiness about life retirement and other troubles at home and abroad. He wants people to look at the "characteristics of the time."
Shin Megami Tensei V is developed in Unreal Engine 4, the first time the engine is used by the developers. In the same interview, it was mentioned that said engine creates a new environment to work with when creating games as it allows them to create something and immediately check it out on the game screen, it gives the creators more time to spend on coming up with ideas and trial-and-error.
The game is expecting a release on the Nintendo Switch. On the team's choice of console, Yamai has expressed that the Switch is "charming," due to its ability to let users play HD quality games freely on the go. He also remarked about its flexibility as a hybrid console.
Since Shin Megami Tensei V is the first home console release from the mainline series in a while, he wants to create a hybrid with the charm of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne and the fun demon upbringing elements of Shin Megami Tensei IV. As such they are experimenting with new elements to add to demon fusion.
In a 2017 trailer of the game, the keyword "Shekinah Glory," which translates to "God's Miracle" could be spotted. Yamai wants players to think about that keyword, and get a "true understanding" of it once they play the game.
The game was first teased on January 13th 2017 as "Shin Megami Tensei HD," or a "brand new work in the series," later revealed to be its fifth installment in October 23rd during a livestream, and that it would plan release on the Nintendo Switch.
During the Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase on July 20th, 2020, the game was shown off for the first time since 2017. It was also announced the game would receive a simultaneous worldwide release in 2021. A year later, on June 15th, 2021, during E3 2021, it was announced the game would release on November 11th in Asia, and later on the 12th in the West.
A few days later after the announcement at E3, on June 17th, a Daily Demon series was started on Atlus JP's YouTube channel (atlustube), which showcases a certain demon from the game each day, and the pace would eventually accelerate to two videos a day. This campaign will go on until the release of the game, showcasing a total of 214 demons.
In addition to that, another series, called "Shin Megami Tensei V News" began on June 21st, showcasing and explaining information about the game. It follows a format of a regular real-life news program, with Chiaki Matsuzawa as its announcer. Although the videos have been uploaded only in Japanese, they have been given official subtitles in English, Korean and Traditional Chinese.
Another minor series is "Osamurai-chan's Megaten Challenge," a side quiz show on guessing demons hosted by Japanese comedian Osamurai-chan. It has only been captioned in Korean and Traditional Chinese.
The game is also planned to make an appearance on Tokyo Game Show 2021 on October 2nd, where unreleased footage and a live playthrough will be displayed.
Aside from publicity events and YouTube series, the game has also been promoted in Japan via merchandise (specifically upcoming Nintendo Switch accessories,) and the Demon Colosseum, a limited-time lottery event hosted on the game's website.
- Box Art
- Game Logos
- Daily Demon
- Only the latest 6 videos are listed on this article to avoid clutter. For the full list, see Shin Megami Tensei V Daily Demon
In Other Languages
|English||Shin Megami Tensei V|
|French||Shin Megami Tensei V|
|Italian||Shin Megami Tensei V|
|German||Shin Megami Tensei V|
|Spanish||Shin Megami Tensei V|
- Shin Megami Tensei V is the first game in the series to have a simultaneous worldwide release, although the game will come out in the West a day later.
- The game's release date, "2021.11.11," may be a reference to the title's roman numeral "V", instead written with five "I" symbols with the use of the "1's" in the date.
- Shin Megami Tensei V shares many of its UI elements with Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE, such as skill, ailment and buff icons, the color scheme and the level up screen.
- From 6/17/2021 to 6/20/2021 free gems were given as a login bonus in Shin Megami Tensei: Liberation Dx2 to commemorate the reveal of the release date of Shin Megami Tensei V.
- The English release in the game will contain both Japanese and English dubs.
- The game will have online features. The details of their purpose and functions are still unclear.
- DLC with the purpose of grinding items and Macca has been confirmed.
- Official Japanese website
- Official English website
- Official Korean website
- Official Traditional Chinese website
- Nintendo Switch page (US)
- Nintendo Switch page (CA)
- Nintendo Switch page (UK)
- Nintendo Switch page (AU)
- 『真・女神転生V』 初回限定版「禁断のナホビノBOX」の内容をご紹介！, atlus.co.jp (June 16th, 2021)
- Shin Megami Tensei V Is Being Made To Sympathize With The World’s Current Troubles, Siliconera (October 24, 2017)
- Atlus On Why Shin Megami Tensei V Is A Nintendo Switch Game, Kotaku (Brian Ashcraft, October 26, 2017)
- Shin Megami Tensei V Story Details, Gameplay Footage Shows Off Combat, World Exploration, Fusion, Persona Central (Reggy, June 16, 2021))
- Shin Megami Tensei 5 - Tokyo Mirage HUD comparison BuffMaister, YouTube.com (June 18, 2021)
- Shin Megami Tensei V - Nintendo Switch - Games - Nintendo, Nintendo AU
- NEWS 真・女神転生V Vol.1 (5:20), Youtube (atlustube, August 19, 2021)
Shin Megami Tensei V
|Other||Aogami - Sophia|
Tao Isonokami - Yuzuru Atsuta - Ichiro Dazai - Miyazu Atsuta - Hayao Koshimizu - Sahori Itsukishima - Nuwa - Shohei Yakumo - Abdiel
|Tokyo||Jouin Academy - Shinagawa Station - Takanawa Tunnel|
|Da'at||Shiba - Hamamatsuchou - Tree of Knowledge|
|Terminology||Nahobino - World of Shadows - Bethel|
|Mechanics||Demon - Turn Press - Moon Phase System - Alignment - Fusion - Race and species - Skill Potential - Magatsuhi Skills - Essence - Miracles|
|Lists||Bosses - Skills - Items (Vending machines) - Status Changes - Side Quests - Demons|
|Promotion||Daily Demon - News|
|Other||Demon Colosseum - Merchandise|