The Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Story Card Game, commonly referred to as the Digital Devil Story Card Game, is a TCG based on the Megami Tensei franchise.
The Shin Megami Tensei Trading Card Game can be divided into two distinct "versions", the original produced by Enterbrain between 1997 and 2003, and the "Nocturne" version produced by Media Factory starting in 2003. The two versions have several notable gameplay differences and as such the Media Factory game cannot be considered a continuation of the Enterbrain game.
The Enterbrain game consists of nine editions:
- 1st Edition
- 2nd Edition
- 3rd Edition
- 4th Edition Neo Genesis
- 5th Edition Apocalypse War
- 6th Edition Chaos Masquerade
- 7th Edition Ein: Seventh Sanctuary
- 8th Edition Zwei: Artificial Life
- 9th Edition Drei: Monument of Goddess
The players are Devil Summoners, with 200 hit points each. The object of the game is to reduce the opponent's HP to 0. Each player has two decks of 60 cards each.
There are four types of cards.
- Nakama - These cards represent demons, which could be summoned to defend against an opponent's party's attacks, as well as to attack the opponent's party. Magnetite is required for summoning them according to their attribute. Certain demons cannot be summoned unless a fusion is done between two or three demons that have already been summoned to the field. They also release Magnetite. LIGHT attribute cards have a red background, NEUTRAL cards have a brown background, and DARK cards have a gray background.
- Partner - Human character cards, which have no summoning cost. They provide Magnetite required for summoning. One male and female Partner Card can be placed onto the field.
- Magic - Spells that can damage enemies or enact various effects such as HP recovery and activating special abilities. Usable by Nakama and Partner Cards. Magnetite is required for use.
- Item - These cards include various forms of equipment, armor, weapons, programs, and consumables. Requires Magnetite to use.
Magnetite is required for summoning demons, using items, and using magic. Magnetite can be released from Nakama and Partner cards, but there are five attributes, which are LIGHT, DARK, LAW, CHAOS, and NEUTRAL. However, apart from NEUTRAL, the Magnetite attribute must match the attribute of the Nakama and Partner Cards.