Maria is a demon in the series.
Maria, known as the Virgin Mary, the Madonna, Myrhiàm or Maryam, is the central female figure in Christianity and many other Abrahamic faiths, she was a first-century Jewish woman living in the province of Galilee, wife to Joseph and mother of Jesus Christ, the messiah for Christians and a great prophet for Muslims.
She is said in the Gospel and the Quran to have followed her son Jesus in his preachings, being an example of goodness and piety.
In both Christianity and Islam, Maria is said to have conceived Jesus with the miraculous intervention of God, through the holy spirit (only for Christians, as Muslims do not believe in the holy trinity) after being visited by the archangel Gabriel, while maintaining her virginity. Because of this she is honored as the mother of God (theotokos in Greek) by Christians and as the greatest of all women in Islam.
Catholicism is the branch of Christianity and the Abrahamic faiths that focuses the most on Maria, where she is said to have inspired Jesus' first miracle at the marriage at Cana, and later bore witness to his death on the cross and resurrection three days later, she also received the holy spirit in the form of a flame during the Pentecost and became a leading figure among Jesus' apostles.
Catholics believe that Maria didn't permanently die, but rather ascended directly to Heaven at the end of her life, where she became the Regina Coeli queen of the heavens, ruler of all saints and angels.
Despite her important role, she isn't worshiped as a goddess, but rather honored as a great saint, and many today claim to have received miracles and visions from her.
In the Divine Comedy, the three books by Dante Alighieri that depicts the Catholic view of the afterlife in the middle ages, and a great inspiration for the Megami Tensei franchise, she is said to reside in the Candida Rosa (Italian for "white rose") a realm within the highest sphere of Heaven, the Primum Mobile, from where she intervenes to save Dante Alighieri's soul, allowing him to travel through the three realms of the afterlife.
In some Apocryphal texts, she is said to have been protected by the archangel Aniel.
- Shin Megami Tensei NINE
- Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux: Megami Race
- Persona 5 Royal: Faith Arcana
Shin Megami Tensei NINE
Maria is an artificial goddess who rules over the Idea Space. She was created by the messians because they were tired of waiting for the messiah promised by God to save them. Eventually she decides to release the people in Idea Space and succeeds with the protagonist's help in the Law route.
After taking a certain amount of damage each time, parts of her body will break off and spawn other demons for reinforcements (the lion spawns Cerberus, the eagle spawns Gryphon, the ox spawns Nandi, the fish spawns Mizuchi, and the Tyrannosaur spawns Yamata no Orochi).
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux
Maria is the boss of the Sixth Sphere of the Womb of Grief. When the protagonist finds and challenges her, she is overjoyed to learn that he is strong enough to make it this far, but also warns that he will need to best her in combat to gain the final Fruit.
Maria's fight takes a different pace compared to the bosses before her. She carries a wide variety of attacks, having Maragidyne, Maziodyne, Magarudyne and Mahamaon, which makes it difficult to effectively fend off all her attacks. Furious Strike is also a Physical attack that hits the whole party. The focus of her moveset is Expel, though, as she carries a couple of moves that force party members to become weak to it for two turns: Purifying Light affects one party member, and Consuming Light affects the whole party. To defend against this, bring along several Tetraja Stones to nullify her next Mahamaon until her Light skills wear off.
Her other unique skill is Innocent Prayer, which works like Silent Prayer but also restores 623 HP to her. Unlike other instances of Silent Prayer or similar skills on bosses before, Maria will use Innocent Prayer when she's at -2 at any debuff or when your party is at +2 at any buff. Thus, keeping the party at +1 and Maria at -1 will ensure she never uses this skill. One can take advantage of her AI by constantly applying a strong debuff (War Cry, Acid Breath, Fog Breath) to cause her to constantly spam Innocent Prayer while the rest of the party keeps getting Co-Op attacks off her weakness. This strategy will only work if the rest of the party can out damage her healing.
Maria surrenders the Sixth Fruit after her defeat, and becomes available as a special fusion requiring Black Maria and Pallas Athena. She also leaves behind the Halo forma, which forms the Double Scoop Sub-App, allowing D-Sources to contain two bonus skills instead of one.
Persona 5 Royal
"The maternal figure of Christianity. Gabriel informed her that she was to be the mother of Jesus. Some sects revere her as Virgin Mary, but other denominations do not focus on her."
Maria is the ultimate Persona of the Faith Arcana, and can only be obtained from fusion after completing the Faith Confidant with Sumire Yoshizawa. When itemized via Electric Chair execution in the Velvet Room, she offers the Spiral Heal Charm accessory, which allows whoever wears this accessory the ability to cast Mediarahan. However, when itemized with the fusion alarm sounding, Maria offers the Rosary of Purity accessory, which allows whoever wears this accessory the ability to cast Holy Benevolence.
Shin Megami Tensei NINE
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux
Persona 5 Royal
- Maria's human form, depicted while holding golden chains, is probably inspired by the "Madonna della Catena" (Italian for "our Lady of the Chain"), a title ascribed to Maria as the protector of slaves and prisoners.
- Maria's "statue" design very likely takes inspiration from the Basílica de la Sagrada Família in Barcelona, Spain. This choice was likely influenced by the fact that the architect was a fervent devotee of the virgin Mary.
- The animals that compose her marble body are all derived from Christian symbology:
- The lion, the hawk and the bull are part of the "tetramorph," an allegorical figure for the four evangelists and represent the angelic order of cherubim.
- The fish is a symbol used by christians during the spread of their religion in the Roman Empire, it had various meanings, such as baptism, some apostles being fishermen, and the Greek word for fish "Ichtys" was used as an acrostic for the name of Jesus.
- The tyrannosaurus rex at the bottom of the statue may refer to Satan, who is at times depicted as a snake or dragon being stepped upon by Maria, symbolizing the victory of good over evil.
- While hard to see in the front, the snake on the back of Maria may refer to the serpent that tempted Eve in the Garden of Eden, symbolizing temptation, or the triumph over thereof. Mary bears the title of New Eve (Nuovo Eva) contrasting Eve as a woman that took part in Adam's and mankind's fall, Mary took part in mankind's salvation together with Christ.
- Also on the back are three trilobites.
- Maria's main body is surrounded by a "mandorla," an almond shaped halo used in early Christian art to represent heavenly apparitions, especially of Jesus and Mary.
- Maria is on the Monument of Goddess Booster Pack for the Digital Devil Story Card Game.
|Major Characters||Baraki / Sumire - Mubiora / Miranda - Ferris - Tsuzumi - Seri - Naitou - Emi - Hayashi - Stephen - Sophia - Sariel - Adam & Eve - Maria - Lucifer - Yaldabaoth|
|Idea Space Tokyo||Shibuya - Akihabara - Shinjuku - Kichijoji - Shinagawa - Ikebukuro - Roppongi - Ueno - Harajuku|
|Terminology||Order of Messiah - Idea Space - Ring of Gaea - Debuggers - Central Administration Bureau - Navi - Jewel - Plugins - Capacity|
|Lists||Demons - Bosses - Skills - Combos - Items - Cosmetics|
|Corporate||Atlus Co., Ltd. - Nex Entertainment|
|Personnel||Kazunori Sakai - Yasuomi Umetsu - Kazuma Kaneko|