"I can feel it... Myself... Me! Gun it!"
Makoto Niijima is a playable character in Persona 5. She's the student council president of Shujin Academy who lives a double life as a Phantom Thief.
- Persona 5 / Royal: Playable Character; Priestess Confidant
- Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers: Playable Character
- Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight: Playable Character
- Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight: DLC partner
- Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth: Playable Character
Makoto has brown hair in a bob cut with blunt bangs and a French-braid styled headband that matches her hair color. Her eyes are abnormal as they have been depicted as red, although her eye color in her portraits can be interpreted as a reddish-brown. She is of average female height, being taller than Futaba Sakura and Haru Okumura, but slightly shorter than Ann Takamaki.
Her winter school uniform appears normal but without the standard blazer. Instead, she wears a black halter vest over a long-sleeve white shirt with a turtleneck (which is different from normal turtlenecks for female students). She wears the regulation black and red pleated plaid skirt, black pantyhose and black-brown ankle boots.
Her summer school uniform is modified. She wears a white dress shirt with the High Priestess emblem ("BJ") embroidered on the collar instead of a normal polo shirt. Under the regulation skirt, she wears Capri-length black leggings and black tassel loafers with no socks.
Her winter casual clothes consist of a black turtleneck shirt under a teal blue coat, with tight black pants and two-toned brown-tan knee-high boots with dark cuffs. Her summer casual clothes consist of a white dress blouse with a black belt, black capris similar to leggings from her summer school uniform attire and black low-heeled Mary Jane shoes.
In Royal, Makoto’s school outfit is slightly modified for the Third Semester, wearing a large black overcoat and brown gloves. On her days off she wears a white sweater with a large turtleneck collar, a black skirt, black pantyhose, and dress shoes. Additionally, she wears a dark blue coat and brown leather gloves.
Her Metaverse outfit consists of a two-toned (dark blue and black) skintight suit that is worn with a long black scarf, a dark gray corset-style leather breastplate, shoulder and knee pads with spikes mixed with boots that sport metal heels and toes, white gloves and an iron mask.
In Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight, she retains her Shujin academy school uniform except she wears dark gray tatter shirt with stitches and black splatter pattern design, thigh high stockings attached to her skirt by garters on the front and maroon high-top sneaker boots. She also wears a red scarf that matches her gloves and a chain attached to her black belt.
"You filthy fly on dirty money... Get the hell out of my face!"
She also isn't above keeping secrets from her friends to keep her image. When Akechi reveals to the group that Sae has a Palace, Makoto admits that she knew that and she wanted to go there so Sae might repent, but she kept it a secret because she thought it was "too selfish of a reason." Way before this, it led to her hiding the true reason why she didn't stand up against Kamoshida.
Feeling overshadowed by her highly successful older sister and being used as a tool, Makoto has almost no sense of self-worth, and so has made a habit of keeping her nose down and doing what is expected of her. Her submissive nature is noted by Goro Akechi, who condescendingly refers to her as "the good-girl type of pushover." After getting involved with the Phantom Thieves, however, Makoto stops denying that she was nothing other than a tool for higher authorities, and vows from then on to fight for what she believes in, which triggers the awakening of her Persona. After the group defeats Junya Kaneshiro, Makoto decides to stay with the Phantom Thieves, saying that she's done being the "exemplary honor student" and that she's going to try to be more honest with herself.
Despite appearing prim and proper on the surface, Makoto is actually more of a tomboy: she's trained in aikido, enjoys violent action movies, never wears skirts other than her school uniform (which she wears leggings under) and seems to care little about fashion other than the headband she wears in her hair.
While she's mostly a kind person, she can also be very bossy and is harshly critical of those who don't live up to her expectations, particularly Ryuji Sakamoto, whose case she constantly gets on due to his consistently nonchalant approach to school life, implying that she's a perfectionist. She also has a ton of repressed anger issues over being made to stand on a pedestal by adults who don't follow the same standards themselves, and as such has the worst temper of the group bar none, to the point that even Iwai has to fear her, as seen during the Mementos Mission manga.
Despite her immensely serious personality and efforts to be above the more bizarre antics of her friends, Makoto does have her own hidden elements such as being frightened by hearing ghost stories, as well as the dark. Being scared of the dark, Makoto seems to panic, first shown when the group decides to check out Sojiro Sakura's house and ending up being forced to go in due to a thunderstorm just rolling in. Once inside, the group hears someone screaming, causing everyone, with the exceptions of the protagonist and Makoto herself, to split up. Makoto, frightened by the mysterious scream, questions the protagonist if she can hold his hand. Futaba Sakura finds this hilarious upon realizing how stoic Makoto normally is and repeatedly teases her about her phobia of horror movies throughout the game. This even carries to Scramble where she can be instantly seen crying for her sister's help while hiding behind the protagonist's legs as soon as they infiltrate Okinawa's Jail and a can drops out from nowhere, making a ping.
Makoto is an excellent analytic and strategist, known for correctly deducting how a majority of puzzles in Palaces work on first sight. Bar situations where Akechi joins the party, Makoto performs most of the strategic work.
Makoto's relationship with her sister is highly bitter, as Sae considers her as a detriment, yet Makoto constantly attempts to please her by fulfilling the expectations of other people. When she realized her sister's true nature (Where her Leviathan form can be seen briefly appearing for a second before the party battles her), she went to a near breakdown before Akechi assures her that they will get this through.
The Niijima sisters Makoto and Sae lived alongside their father since their mother died when they were young. As he was not home often, the sisters disliked him. Unfortunately, three years ago, he was murdered by being ran over by a truck in the line of duty, forcing the elder sister Sae to juggle between handling cases in court and raising Makoto alone. In order to retain the 99% indiction rate of her country's courts, Sae also more often than not, found herself having to rig cases with a guilty charge against her will. As a result, she saw both Makoto and their father as a burden and did not hold her in high regard. Makoto also regretted disliking her father and wished that he would still be around.
Makoto was deeply apologetic that her sister has to shoulder the burden of supporting her on her own, which she absolutely hates being in a position at, and as a result studied very hard so that she can enter a top-notch university, and relieve Sae's burden once she graduates. Unfortunately, nobody in school treated her seriously, and even Sae's associates, such as Goro Akechi, mocked her for her submissive attitude. When the protagonist moves in Tokyo, she has become a third-year honor student and the president of the student council in Shujin Academy, although she was dissatisfied with the situation because the students view her as incompetent and unfit for the job.
She can initially be found in the school library on 4/18 studying at a table after school lets out for the day, and will appear semi-regularly there from then on.
After Madarame's confession, she was asked by Principal Kobayakawa to investigate the possibility that the Phantom Thieves are students from their school after their volleyball coach, Suguru Kamoshida's confession and arrest. She accepts the request and is quick to deduce that the protagonist and the others are the Phantom Thieves and starts to approach them. Ann Takamaki, in particular, does not like her presence due to a rumor that claims Makoto was aware of Kamoshida's true nature but kept quiet about it like everyone else in order to maintain a paragon image before the faculties and receive a recommendation for her own benefit, a thought that Ann bitterly tells to Makoto, which disturbs her. (Unfortunately, this turned out to be true as she confirmed personally later on after Kaneshiro extorts the party.)
She begins to tail the protagonist for a duration, following him whenever he is in school or even as far as Shibuya. On June 11th, Makoto finally confirms her suspicions when she hears Ryuji Sakamoto declares out loud in the courtyard of Shujin Academy that they are the Phantom Thieves. However, she decides not to give this proof to Kobayakawa and instead demands the Phantom Thieves to prove their justice by reforming an unknown mafia boss who has been extorting many students around Shibuya, including those attending Shujin Academy. If they can complete the task, she will not expose their identities to anyone. Deep down, Makoto actually approves of the thieves and believes her father would think the same way, which she told Sae when the sisters were having dinner at home, triggering Sae's anger, causing her to call Makoto a "burden." This disheartens Makoto heavily, even if Sae quickly apologized for insulting her because of an impulsive fit of rage. Sae then tells Makoto that she will not have dinner with Makoto from that point on, implying that she still holds grudges against her.
Makoto checks on the group as they have trouble reaching the center of mafia boss Kaneshiro's Palace. Ann, Ryuji and Yusuke point out how useless she is for not doing anything that can help them but rely on the hard works of somebody else, something that greatly upsets Makoto after being told the same thing before by her sister and Akechi. To prove her worth, Makoto purposely acts as bait into the mafia so that the gang can follow behind. Once there, Kaneshiro takes photos of the group being merely present in his adult-exclusive nightclub for blackmail material. He demands 3 million yen within 3 weeks in exchange for the photos, which will ruin their reputations if leaked. Additionally, if they cannot pay the 3 million yen, he would force Makoto into prostitution to pay back the debt, adding that he may even keep Sae as his personal slave.
Makoto apologizes for her rash actions and explains how this folly could ruin Sae's effort in raising her. She tries to think of a way to pay Kaneshiro, but Morgana suggests to make her an ally by bringing her along to Kaneshiro's Palace because she is now the "special customer" to Kaneshiro's extortion business. Entering the Metaverse, a passageway is opened to allow the thieves and Makoto to access Kaneshiro's "floating bank." Makoto is confronted by Shadow Kaneshiro who taunts her by revealing his plan to extort her sister. Angered and disgusted by Kaneshiro, Makoto awakens her Persona power of Johanna and decides to join the Phantom Thieves.
If the party cannot complete Kaneshiro's Palace in time, the police come to arrest the protagonist, claiming they have found a drugged and brutalized schoolgirl in one of Kaneshiro's nightclubs deliriously muttering his name. This scenario is a false recollection made by the protagonist during Sae's interrogation due to his mind being addled by drugs he was forcefully administered by the police. Sae proceeds to leave the room to give the protagonist time to recover, at which point Akechi takes the opportunity to assassinate him.
After changing Kaneshiro's heart, she receives a call from Kaneshiro who tells her he has deleted the photos and is going to turn himself in, relieving Makoto and the others. She then reports to Kobayakawa that she concludes her investigation of the Phantom Thieves by simply lying by telling him that the Phantom Thieves are justice and she does not have any proof that the Thieves are in their school, much to Kobayakawa's dismay. She even declines his recommendation letter for university when Kobayakawa persuades her once more.
Upon showing her support for the Phantom Thieves, Makoto accepts Ann's apology for wrongly accusing her previously. Makoto asks if she can address Ann directly by her given name and without honorific, to which Ann happily agrees. Makoto also begins to act as the strategist of the Phantom Thieves by proposing direction and trouble solution for the gang. She usually analyzes the puzzles around the Palaces aside from cases where Akechi is around the party, as Akechi's deduction skills are sharper than hers. She goes so far that she installs spyware written by Futaba Sakura in Sae's laptop so the gang can learn the investigation progress of the Prosecutors Office.
After the Thieves come under suspicion, Makoto proposes reaching out to Akechi in order to gain information, only to find that Akechi has already realized all of their identities. Akechi says that he will release the photos of the Thieves exiting the Palace to the police unless they work with him to find the true culprits behind Okumura and Kobayakawa's death, Both of them who he committed under the orders of the Conspiracy head. However, the first step involves stealing Sae's heart before the investigation finds (or plants) incriminating evidence on the Thieves. Makoto admits that she has known for a while that her sister has a Palace, but had hoped to change Sae's heart through other means.
While progressing through Sae's Palace, Makoto is shocked to realize the depths of her sister's bitterness and cynicism, particularly her Shadow's belief that trials are nothing more than games to be won by any means necessary. Makoto nearly has a breakdown upon facing the true nature of her sister's Shadow but is able to calm down when Akechi comforts her.
- To see Makoto's Confidant's dialogue options and skills, see Confidant/Makoto Niijima
"There must've been people who obstructed your actions as the Phantom Thieves. You managed to overcome them because you had someone who specialized in analyzing enemies... ...Isn't that right!?"
Makoto's Confidant can be unlocked on June 24th after you have finished Kaneshiro's Palace. However, one can only commence this Confidant while the protagonist has Knowledge rank 3 (Scholarly) or higher, and the Confidant cannot proceed past rank 5 unless the protagonist has maxed Charm (Debonair). Maxing this Confidant makes Johanna evolve into Anat and unlocks the fusion of Cybele.
Makoto's Confidant begins when Makoto asks the protagonist to guide her around the outside world to learn more about society. While exploring Shinjuku and exposed to the realities of the outside world, she sees Eiko Takao, a student of Shujin Academy was working at a salon. After discussing the situation with her, Eiko became friends with Makoto. Makoto was determined however to find out Eiko's situation and goes on a double date with the protagonist and learn that Eiko is in a relationship with Tsukasa, a shifty-looking host who has been taking advantage of emotionally vulnerable young girls to force them to work for illegal businesses in Shinjuku.
Makoto slowly opens up to the protagonist during the confidant, admonishing herself for letting her studies fall behind in search of a social relationship and how the impact of her father's death affected the family. Makoto explains she felt like the expectations of society had on her has caused her to lose sight of the outside world and the feelings of those around her.
Eventually, Eiko asks Makoto for help as Tsukasa had to pay for damages after dropping a bottle of expensive sake. There, she realized that deep down Eiko wanted to break free from her privileged life and strove to protect her newfound friend by revealing the true nature of Tsukasa with the protagonist's help.
After the altercation between Tsukasa and Eiko, she heads to the Crossroads Bar where the protagonist can decide to pursue a relationship or not. Regardless of the outcome, she makes amends with Eiko who has returned to studying hard for college and she makes the decision to become a police commissioner to not only honor her father's legacy but to destroy the lawless and help rescue victims. Finding irony in her new resolve, Makoto fully pledges to give her all in both her new goal and her duty as a Phantom Thief, causing Johanna to transform into Anat.
Makoto's farewell gift after maxing her Confidant is the Buchi Calculator, allowing the protagonist the ability to use Shadow Factorization at Rank 1 of her Confidant in New Game+. If the protagonist pursues a romantic relationship with Makoto, she will gift the protagonist a Wristwatch on Christmas, allowing the protagonist to earn more points when using a Priestess Persona during their Confidant in NG+, and Makoto's Chocolate on Valentines Day, which fully restores SP to one ally when consumed.
Persona 5 RoyalEdit
Makoto can be seeing following along behind the protagonist on the way to school on April 15th. A short while later, she will be seen near the doors to the courtyard in the practice building, expressing shock about a teacher directing her to conduct the students back to their classrooms and be silent about the situation online in order to avoid a scandal, wondering about ensuring the safety of the students and directing paramedics.
Taking Back RealityEdit
In the third semester events when Tokyo is under Takuto Maruki's fake reality, her father is now alive and Sae has reconciled with her because Makoto is no longer a burden with their father still in the picture. According to the sisters, their father also got an award for being an outstanding officer. This is actually a result of Maruki's reality warping using Makoto's desires, as she subconsciously yearns for her father to be alive, so Sae won't need to take care of her and treat her as a burden. In this reality, the sister's father never died to begin with. Once the illusion broke, her father is never heard of again due to the fact he's dead.
If the protagonist maxes her confidant and talks to her after she rejoins, she will berate herself for having her selfishness of wanting to have a fulfilling life with her father and her sister going against her desire to protect the protagonist at all costs, and states that she will now move forward on her down, transmogrifying Anat and Johanna into Agnes.
If the protagonist chooses to accept Maruki's reality, the real reality is rewritten, and she will graduate from Shujin on March 15 alongside Haru. During the credits, she is seen serving dinner for her family.
A few weeks after the protagonist's release from prison following Maruki and the restoration of their reality, the Phantom Thieves then gathered at Leblanc with Sojiro participating in their meeting. Having been inspired by her experiences in the other reality, Makoto, along with Haru, revealed they will be moving far away after graduation to find new places to stay for their college years. She agreed with the Phantom Thieves to remain connected while they move forward with their futures.
After the group helped the protagonist evade the authorities who attempted to follow him back to his hometown (with the assistance of the reformed Maruki who now works as a taxi driver), Makoto is seen with Sae as they browsed over her accommodation options outside a real estate shop. The two of them disagreed over her options and have started arguing with each other for the first time before shortly laughing after, a sign of how much Makoto has matured after joining the Phantom Thieves.
Persona 5 The Animation Edit
Makoto makes a brief cameo in the second episode talking to some students in the hall. She makes her full appearance in the fifth episode, being ordered by Principal Kobayakawa to investigate the connection between the Phantom Thieves "prank" and Kamoshida's confession.
Persona 5 Mementos Mission Edit
Makoto appears throughout the manga series. During the fourth Chapter, Makoto reveals when she was out shopping she bumped into a man, which dropped their identical bags. In the confusion Makoto grabbed his bag by mistake, which contained an expensive jeweled bracelet not sold at the store the bag originated from. Makoto held onto it, intent on returning it to its owner. Jokingly Ann puts the bracelet on Makoto's wrist, where it's revealed that due to the special locking mechanism, it can't come off. Ren takes Makoto to Untouchable so Iwai could remove it. He tells the duo the job can be done, however he needs a special assortment of tools shipped in to do it. To cover the bracelet, Makoto has begun wearing sports tape around both her wrists.
While investigating another Phan-Site request, Makoto and Haru go undercover at a maid café to get close to the student being abused. During this time, an assortment of criminals has targeted Makoto, knowing she has the bracelet.
Persona Q2: New Cinema LabyrinthEdit
Makoto is a member of the default party along with Haru Okumura. Her Persona, Johanna, has Diarama, an advanced healing skill. Just like Haru, her starting level is much higher than the other party members. The girls are kidnapped by an F.O.E at the start of the game, who hands them over to Kamoshidaman for the crime of disrupting the peace of Kamocity. Makoto is able to give the party clues to weakening Kamoshidaman. After Kamoshidaman is defeated, the two girls are freed and permanently join the party.
According to a Special Screening, her father taught her and Sae aikido, but she was not physically stronger than her elder sister.
- Main article: Party/Makoto Niijima
- "I'll fulfill my desire for a happy family—with my own power!" (Maruki Telegraphing movement ban)
- "I may be a phantom thief, but that's no excuse for me to start ignoring my presidential duties."
- "I'm going to try to look at things a little differently from now on. And, well... I think that will help me break out of my shell."
- "I've realized now there are more important things in life than being a prim and proper honor student."
- "I guess in the end, I'm just becoming more aware of how little I really know. So... please, help me keep fighting back against that ignorance." (To The Protagonist)
- "Come to think of it, there was something he used to say to me all the time... "The most important part of your life is how you choose to live it." (About her father)
- "I just can't rest knowing there's such evil in the world! And I damn sure won't keep quiet while my friend has her life ruined!" (To Eiko Takao)
- "There's so much you can miss by living with your head buried between the pages of a book..."
- "This time I'm not seeking anyone's praise, and I'm not trying to show off my intelligence. I simply want to fulfill my own personal goals and dreams."
- "What I mean is, worrying about something is the first step toward changing it." (To Futaba Sakura)
- "Johanna! / Anat! / Agnes!" (Exploiting enemy's weakness)
- "Charge, Johanna!" (Exploiting enemy's weakness)
- "Anat, come!" (Exploiting enemy's weakness)
- "Go Agnes!" (Exploiting enemy's weakness)
- "Persona!" (Accessing Persona skill menu)
- "I'll use my Persona!" (Accessing Persona skill menu)
- "You oppose us?" (Attack with Melee Weapon)
- "Out of our way!" (Attack with Melee Weapon)
- "Feel my rage!" (Using an offensive skill)
- "No holds barred!" (Using offensive Skill)
- "Let's go..." (Healing or increasing the stats of an ally / Decreasing enemy's stats)
- "Ow!" (Taking damage)
- "One more and I'm done for..." (Low health)
- "The world is... spinning..." (Inflicted with dizziness)
- Which is the enemy?" (Inflicted with brainwash)
- "I'd run if I could." (Inflicted with fear)
- "Freeze!" (Initiating a Hold Up)
- "They're in disarray!" (Initiating All-Out Attack)
- "Let's wipe 'em out!" (Initiating All-Out Attack)
- "We can end this right now!" (Initiating All-Out Attack)
- "Fists of justice!!" (All-Out Attack finishing touch)
- "They felt that one!" (All-Out Attack finishing touch)
- "Done and done!" (All-Out Attack finishing touch)
- "I'll act accordingly." (Tactics changed to Act Freely)
- "Understood!" (Tactics changed to Full Assault)
- "I won't exert myself." (Tactics changed to Conserve SP)
- "Prioritizing safety." (Tactics changed to Heal/Support)
- "I'll leave it to you." (Tactics changed to Direct Command)
- "Don't forget this feeling!" (Battle results)
- "No time to waste!" (Battle results)
- "That's a new one, isn't it?" (Protagonist gains a new Persona)
- "The opponent is strong! Don't do anything reckless!" (Scanning high-level enemy with unknown weakness)
Persona 5: RoyalEdit
- "Haah!"/"I'm fired up." (Ready to use a Showtime attack with someone)
- "Wow Skull, you are fired up!"/"Let's show'em what we're made of..." (Ready to use a Showtime attack with Ryuji)
- "NOW!" (Activating a Showtime attack with someone)
- "Now's our chance!" / "Empty the mind..." (Using Concentrate / Charge)
Makoto's Close Up
Makoto's Level-Up icon
Makoto's text icon
Makoto's Confidant portrait
Queen concept art
Cinematic expressions concept artwork
Illustration of the main members of Phantom Thieves of Hearts
Illustration of the main members of Phantom Thieves of Hearts
Illustration of the main members of Phantom Thieves of Hearts
Illustration of the main members of Phantom Thieves of Hearts
Illustration of Makoto and the others by Shigenori Soejima
Persona 5 Maniax User Handbook Cover Illustration of Phantom Thieves of Hearts
Makoto's Valentine card
All-Out Attack portrait
All-Out Attack finishing touch
All-Out Attack finishing touch
Makoto removing her mask
Makoto and her Persona Johanna
Makoto drifting with her Persona Johanna
Makoto drives the catbus
Makoto after Valentine's Day
Makoto in the credits
Makoto by Soejima
|Persona 5 Royal|
Makoto in the P5R key art
Concept art (2)
Makoto's Showtime trigger
Makoto and Ryuji's Showtime
Makoto and Haru's Showtime
Makoto with the group on New Years
Makoto wearing a yukata with Ann and Yusuke
Makoto with Ann and Futaba at Miura Beach
Makoto wearing a Christmas hat with Haru and Futaba
Makoto with the girls on New Year
"A Harmonious Dream"
"A Reality Without Pain"
|Persona 5 Portraits|
Makoto's Queen outfit
Makoto's Queen outfit without mask
Makoto's summer school uniform
Makoto's gym uniform
Makoto's summer attire
Makoto's winter attire
Makoto happy cut-in
Makoto winking cut-in
Makoto sad cut-in
Makoto serious cut-in
Makoto angry cut-in
Makoto harmed cut-in
|Persona 5 Royal Portraits|
Makoto's summer uniform
Makoto's winter attire
Makoto's summer attire
Makoto's outdoor winter coat
Makoto's indoor winter coat
Makoto's gym uniform
|Persona 5 Costumes|
Shujin Winter School Uniform
Winter Casual Wear
Summer Casual Wear
Shujin Summer School Uniform
St. Hermelin High School Uniform (DLC)
Seven Sisters High School Uniform (DLC)
Gekkoukan High School Uniform (DLC)
Yasogami High School Uniform (DLC)
Persona 4: Dancing All Night Costume (DLC)
Persona 4 Arena Shadow Operation Outfit (DLC)
Karukozaka High School Uniform (DLC)
Shin Megami Tensei IV Costume (DLC)
Maid Uniform (DLC)
Christmas Costume (DLC)
|Persona 5 (Manga)|
Persona 5 Character Anthology
Illustration by Persona Q: Side P4 manga author Mizunomoto
Persona 5 manga Volume 4 cover
Persona 5 manga Volume 5 cover
P5A Anthology cover
Illustration countdown of Makoto for Volume 1 of Persona 5: Mementos Mission
Illustraion of Makoto promoting Mementos Mission's final chapter
Makoto in Persona 5: Mementos Mission
Makoto on the cover of Mementos Report Volume 2
|Persona 5 The Animation|
Visual art of Makoto Niijima
Second cour key visual
Makoto on DVD Volume 5's Cover
Makoto on DVD Volume 5's Reverse Cover
Concept art of Makoto Niijima
Concept art of Makoto Niijima (2)
Makoto in the P5A Artbook
Makoto in the P5A Artbook (2)
Makoto in the P5A Artbook (3)
Makoto in the P5A Artbook (4)
Makoto as a mouse in the P5A Artbook (2nd row)
Makoto in Persona 5 The Animation Attic Meeting
Persona 5 x SHIBUYA109 artwork
Persona 5 Masquerade Party Event
Persona 5 Sega Campaign
Makoto artwork for Persona 5 The Animation
Makoto as a child
Makoto and Ann hula dancing in Hawaii
|Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight|
Makoto in the key visual art
Ball Stage Outfit
Summer Shujin Outfit
Winter Shujin Outfit
Shujin Academy Jersey
Zombie Police Costume
Deep Blue Clothes
Race Queen Outfit
Feather Bald Eagle
|Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers|
Makoto Pre-Release Wallpaper (576x1024)
Makoto & Johanna Pre-Release Wallpaper (576x1024)
Makoto in the Title Screen
Makoto traveling with the Phantom Thieves
Makoto hiding in the bushes with the Phantom Thieves
|Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth|
Makoto with the group
Makoto with the P5 cast
Makoto in the Junessic Land Key Art
Makoto's Close Up
Makoto's All-Out Attack
Makoto in the end credits
Makoto in the end credits
Illustration of Makoto and her allies by Akaume (PQ Roundabout author)
|PERSONA 20th Anniversary Festival|
Makoto on Persora -The Golden Best 5-
Picaresque Mouse Phantom Thieves
Picaresque Mouse Makoto
In Other LanguagesEdit
|Japanese||新島 真 (Nījima Makoto)||クイーン (Kuīn)|
|Korean||니지마 마코토 (Nijima Makoto)||퀸 (Kwin)|
|Traditional Chinese||新島 真 (Xīndǎo zhēn)||QUEEN|
- Makoto doesn't like her mask.
- In addition she, while wandering through Mementos, complains about her Phantom Thief attire as well.
- Makoto's Personas specialize in Nuclear skills that have not appeared in the franchise since Persona 2: Eternal Punishment.
- Queen is given the role of "Phantom Thieves' Advisor" (怪盗団の作戦参謀, Kaitō-dan no sakusen sanbō)? for her wisdom.
- Makoto is the only party member to have two summoning poses in battle. The first is when she has Johanna or Agnes, where she "rides" her Persona, while her second is with Anat, which unlike Johanna and Agnes has a humanoid form.
- Her summer uniform's collar has the letters B and J embroidered on it. This is a reference to Boaz and Jachin, two pillars found at the mouth of Solomon's Temple in ancient Jerusalem. These twin pillars are also depicted in the Tarot's Priestess Arcana, and are referenced with the letters "B" and "J" seen on the breasts of the boss in Persona 3.
- Ryuji and Haru both nickname Makoto "Champion of Century's End" (世紀末覇者, Seikimatsu Hasha)? the first time they see her Metaverse outfit and Persona, a reference of 's title from the Fist of the North Star series. Makoto and Raoh are both specialized in fist fighting and use a mount. This was changed to "Post-Apocalyptic Raider" in the English localization.
- In the English localization, Ryuji calls her the "Fist of the Phantom Star."
- Her "Showtime" move with Ryuji in Royal is a further reference to Fist of the North Star, during which Makoto performs a move in direct reference to the infamous "Hundred Rending Fists" (北斗百裂拳, Hokuto Hyakuretesu Ken) technique.
- Makoto's Metaverse outfit, especially her scarf, can be seen as a reference to Kamen Rider, especially those from the Showa Period. The reference is heightened further by Johanna's motorcycle appearance. "Rider" is also one of the suggested nicknames for her.
- She apparently has a fondness for Buchimaru-kun merchandise, even though the merchandise is no longer sold. This is revealed when Eiko Takao notices her pencil case is a Buchimaru-kun (and rather old).
- In the group text after she awakens her Persona, Ryuji says that it's just like that song "I'm a phantom, on a steel horse I ride...", and Makoto follows up with saying that she's not "wanted", referencing the Bon Jovi hit Wanted Dead or Alive.
- The official Twitter account for the Persona series posted a "Happy Birthday" message for Makoto on April 23, 2017 JST. Her birthday was the first to be announced out of the main cast.
- Makoto's birthday is the same day as Reading Day or follow-up Tweet after announcing her birthday. . This has been pointed out by the previously mentioned Twitter account in a
- On 7/30 you can go with Makoto to watch a yakuza themed movie called "Like a Dragon" which Makoto seems to be fond of said genre . This is a reference to the Yakuza series of video games by Sega (in Japan called 龍が如く "Ryū ga Gotoku" which literally translates to "Like a Dragon"). The first game in the series also got a movie adaptation "Like a Dragon" or "Yakuza: Like a Dragon" (in Japan as 龍が如く 劇場版 "Ryū ga Gotoku Gekijōban"; lit. "Like a Dragon Movie Version")
- A glimpse of Makoto's father can be seen during the bad ending when Takuto Maruki imposes his fake reality.
- There are 813 books in Makoto's room in Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight.
Appearances in Other MediaEdit
- Chain Chronicle:
- BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle:
- Color swap for Chie Satonaka
- BanG Dream! Girls Band Party:
- Outfit for Udagawa Tomoe
- Puyo Puyo!! Quest:
- Catherine: Full Body:
- DLC NPC
- Kyoutou Kotoba RPG:
- Makoto (Kotodaman); Normal (5-star), Phantom Thief (6-star)
- Collaboration event: March 5th, 2019 - March 28th, 2019
- Super Smash Brothers Ultimate:
- Cameo during Joker's Final Smash and Mementos
- Support Spirit (Novice Class)
- Article in SmashWiki
- Part of the Joker DLC: April 17th, 2019
- Identity V:
- Skin for Playable Character
- Second collaboration event: November 7th, 2019 - November 28th, 2019
- Sword Art Online: Memory Defrag:
- Sword Art Online: Integral Factor:
- Queen, NPC, Queen outfit for avatar, Queen skin for Alice
- Collaboration event: February 28th, 2020 - March 10th, 2020
Makoto's card in Chain Chronicle
|Puzzle and Dragons|
Makoto Niijima in Puzzle and Dragons
|Kyoutou Kotoba RPG|
Makoto in Kyoutou Kotoba RPG
Queen in Kyoutou Kotoba RPG
Illustration of the Phantom Thieves as part of the 2nd Identity V collaboration event.
Queen in Identity V
Queen in Identity V
Makoto in Identity V
Makoto style All-Out Attack (Udagawa Tomoe)
Udagawa Tomoe dressed as Makoto
|Sword Art Online: Memory Defrag|
Sinon dressed as Queen in Sword Art Online: Memory Defrag
|Sword Art Online: Integral Factor|
Queen in Sword Art Online: Integral Factor
Alice dressed as Queen in Sword Art Online: Integral Factor
Persona 5, in collaboration with Sanrio
- ↑ ４月２３日はマコトの誕生日だ！これからも怪盗団のブレーンとしてヨロシクな！ ワガハイたちからのプレゼントは、バイクのフィギュアだぜ！ #ペルソナ5 #新島真, @p_kouhou (April 23rd, 2017)
- ↑ みんな！ 4月23日は我ら怪盗団のブレーン、 #新島真 の誕生日だぜ～！ ハッピーバースデー、マコト！ #ペルソナ５ #p5a #P5D, @p_kouhou (April 23rd, 2018)
- ↑ 今日4月23日は、昼は生粋の優等生にして夜は世紀末覇者!? クイーンこと#新島真 の誕生日だぜ！ ハッピーバースデー、マコト！#ペルソナ５ #P5R, @p_kouhou (April 23rd, 2019)
- ↑ 4月23日は、クールな優等生 そして世紀末覇者の異名を持つ、クイーンこと新島真の誕生日だ！ ハッピーバースデー、マコト！ #P5R #P5S #ペルソナ５, @p_kouhou (April 23rd, 2020)
- ↑ Persona 5 Collaboration Festival. Chain Chronicle Wiki.
- ↑ Persona 3, 4, 5 Popular Scene Vote Results, Persona Q2 Line Stamps Announced, Persona Q2 x Puyo Puyo!! Quest Collaboration. Persona Central (Reggy, November 24th, 2018)
- ↑ Persona 5 x Kyoutou Kotoba RPG: Kotodaman Collaboration Trailer, Starts on March 5, 2019. Persona Central (Reggy, March 4th, 2019)
- ↑ Persona 5 x Identity V Collaboration Part 2 Announced for November 7 to November 28, 2019 Persona Central (Reggy, November 6th, 2019)
- ↑ Persona 5 Royal x Sword Art Online: Memory Defrag Collaboration to Start on February 17, 2020. Persona Central (Reggy, February 13, 2020)
|Playable||Ren Amamiya - Morgana - Ryuji Sakamoto - Ann Takamaki - Yusuke Kitagawa - Makoto Niijima - Futaba Sakura - Haru Okumura - Caroline and Justine|
|DLC||Shinjiro Aragaki - Goro Akechi - Theodore - Lavenza - Sho Minazuki - Labrys|
|Tokyo||Café Leblanc - Shibuya - Shujin Academy|
|Palace||Kamoshida's Palace - Madarame's Palace - Kaneshiro's Palace - Futaba's Palace - Okumura's Palace - Niijima's Palace - Shido's Palace - Mementos|
|Other||Velvet Room - Hawaii|
|Songs||GROOVY - One Nightbreak|
|Albums||Persona Dancing P3D & P5D Soundtrack Advanced CD|