"The 'Image', existing in an unknown dimension, is a spiritual object. The real nature of oneself. We can also call it the soul. Now is the time to face this inner space with a pure mind. The image world is supported by rich spiritual activities that could lead us to a wonderful future. But some deny us that. The decline of the European Union... The overwhelmingly deteriorating relations between China and the US... All part of this new path of chaos... But soon Maken will help us. Deus Ex Machina is coming..."
Maken X, and its remake Maken Shao are games not related to the Megami Tensei series of games. However, these games are developed by Atlus, with art direction by Kazuma Kaneko; and can be considered as partially a Megami Tensei title. This is also compounded with Maken X artworks included in Kazuma Kaneko's art books.
Profile[edit | edit source]
Maken X is a first-person action game for the Sega Dreamcast featuring art and character designs by Kazuma Kaneko. In 2001, a heavily altered third-person remake was released under the title Maken Shao (魔剣爻) identified as Maken Shao: Demon Sword in Europe but was never released in North America.
A manga version, Maken X: Another authored and drawn by Kyu Hayashida was released on 21 January, 2001. The manga was published on three volumes. It tells the story of Kei Sagami who was forced to be grafted with the living weapon "Machina" when a freak accident occurred in her father's lab. Alongside her childhood friend, they venture into the world of "Images" in an attempt to rescue her father.
Characters[edit | edit source]
Player characters[edit | edit source]
- Maken: Also known as "Deus Ex Machina", a demonic sword. Actually the main character.
- Kei Sagami: Heroine. Becomes possessed by The Maken.
- Fei Shan Lee: A Fukenshi in training who lives in Hong Kong, tasked with taking out Hakke Shaja.
- Fukenshi Baldelaire: Half brother of Kei's mother. Fukenshi who works as a journalist attempting to find the whereabouts of Malukala's hideout.
- Fukenshi Acinaces: Fukenshi working as a musuem curator in Athens. She is investigating the Petrification Illness.
- Fukenshi Rumrod: Fukenshi who works as a DJ in Amsterdam. Tasked with taking out his former lover Hakke Marguerite.
- Fukenshi Kati: Head of the Nine-Sky Circus and second-in command of the Fukenshi.
- Hakke Andrey: Former Russian soldier who serves as a hitman for the Sangyokai.
- Hakke Shaja: A famous Indian film star and singer who uses his songs to brainwash the population.
- Hakke Marguerite: Current leader of the European Union.
- Hakke Daru: A world-renowned scientist responsible for the Petrification Illness crisis in Europe.
- Hakke Malukala: Head of the global mafia. Deals drugs and helped spread the Petrification Illness through Europe.
- Hakke Ray: Archbishop who founded a religion that urges its followers to commit suicide.
- Hakke Youthfu: An oil baron restricting the sale of petroleum exclusively to China.
- Hakke William: The President of the United States.
- Gou Inaba: An airline pilot flying the ill-fated Rhincodon.
- Samuel Smith: Hakke Margaret's husband and former leader of the European Union. Currently imprisoned in the Tower of London.
- Bahlinka: Hakke Daru's daughter. Was infected by the Petrifying Illness and detained in an isolation ward in Istanbul.
- Kou Yamashiro: Kei's best friend. Only playable on a certain story route.
Non-player characters[edit | edit source]
- Chief Hiro Sagami: Kei's father and Image researcher.
- Fei Chao Lee: An elite Fukenshi from Hong Kong tasked with awakening the Maken.
- Anne Miller: American scientist who helped create the Maken. Her and J.J Jones go a long way back.
- J.J Jones: Rude and self-centered American scientist who helped create the Maken.
- Lee Fu Shou: Head of the Fukenshi, and father of Fei Chao Lee and Fei Shan Lee.
- Dr. David Guiness: Scientist who fled to the Amazon after objecting to Plan X.
- Ryu Kashin: General Secretary of China and Mr. Meteor's current host.
- Mr. Meteor: The brain of Pan-Gu. Main antagonist.
Enemies[edit | edit source]
- Sangyokai 64 KE Sword Breaker
- Sangyokai 32 KE Bazooka
- Sangyokai 32 KE Claw
- Sangyokai 64 KE Roller Blade
- Sangyokai 32 KE Cannon
- Sangyokai 32 KE Grenade
- Sangyokai 16 KE Amazon
- Sangyokai 16 KE Dancer
- Imperial Guard Shiva Infantry
- Petrifying Illness Golem
- Petrifying Illness Iron Maiden
- B.S. Reconstruction Soldier Vulcan
- B.S. Reconstruction Soldier Arms
- B.S. Reconstruction Dog
- Euro Mafia Moss Gang
- Messianic Believer
- Palace Security System Motor-Buraq
- Presidential Escort System X66
- Fukenshi Soldier Iron Bow
- Fukenshi Soldier Shadow Leg
Version Differences[edit | edit source]
Differences between the original Dreamcast release and Maken Shao.
- The perspective is changed from first person to third person due to a recurring issue with Japanese gamers where they experience motion sickness when playing games with a first-person camera.
- As a result of the perspective change, it is no longer possible to jump over enemies to dodge attacks.
- Upon encountering certain enemies for the first time, a small introductory scene with a name card will play. Enemies have also been strengthened, with some attacks now being unblockable which is indicated by the enemy briefly flashing white before attacking.
- Several stages, such as the Rhincodon, have new events and all stages have had the placement of enemies altered, with some enemy types being absent from stages they were present on in Maken X
- Power-ups and health pickups can now be stored one at a time and used with the Triangle button instead of being automatically consumed. Pickups are now stored in crates instead of being out in the open.
- The Brainjacking system has been reworked. Instead of the RPG styled Brainjack Rank, characters must be "bought" with Image collected from defeating enemies before they can be Brainjacked.
- The Synchro meter mechanic was added, allowing Brainjacked characters to learn new moves and reducing their Brainjack cost as they defeat enemies.
- Many characters movesets were reworked to accomodate the Synchro meter.
- Gou Inaba, Bahlinka and Samuel Smith are given EX Specials like the other playable characters, unlocked after their Synchro rating reaches 100%.
- Hakke Daru and Bahlinka are no longer immune to projectile attacks. Their immunity to the petrification effect of the Petrifying Illness Golem's darts remains, although they still take damage from the attack.
- Two new modes and a Sound Test were added, unlocked after receiving specific endings.
- The game's cutscenes were overhauled. Cutscenes that consisted of still images are now fully animated and characters now move their mouths when speaking. As part of this change, all cutscenes are now prerendered instead of being animated in-game, with the exceptions being cutscenes that happen during the stage and the post-stage cutscene of Kei talking to the Maken in the Image world.
- The presense of swastikas in the game, such as those seen on Hakke Marguerite and the B.S. Reconstruction Soldiers, are replaced with the kanji 無 (mu) as seen in the English release of Maken X. This is the only change to be kept from the English version of Maken X and affects both versions of Maken Shao.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
|Playable||Maken - Kei Sagami - Hakke Andrey - Gou Inaba - Bahlinka - Samuel Smith - Fei Shan Lee - Hakke Shaja - Fukenshi Rumrod - Fukenshi Acinaces - Fukenshi Baldelaire - Fukenshi Kati - Hakke Marguerite - Hakke Daru - Hakke Malukala - Hakke Ray - Hakke Youthfu - Hakke William - Kou Yamashiro|
|Non-playable||Hiromitsu Sagami - Fei Chao Lee - Anne Miller - J.J Jones - Lee Fu Sho - Dr. David Guiness - Ryu Kashin - Mr. Meteor - Pan-Gu|
|Locations||Kanazawa Research Institute - Rhincodon - Hong Kong - Taj Mahal - Moscow - Istanbul - Athens - Transylvania - London - Amsterdam - Vienna - Lyon - Vatican City - Sicily - Lisbon - Mecca - Amazon - Washington - The Forbidden City - Kun Lun|
|Terminology||Plan X - Image - Brainjack - Fukenshi - Sangyokai - Hakke - B.S. Reconstruction Soldiers - Petrifying Illness|
|Other Media||Maken X Original Soundtracks - Maken X Remix Soundtrack L'Image - Maken X Another - Maken X: After Strange Days|