"Kagutsuchi... It is the light whose sole purpose is to empower the one who will oversee creation. Creation is the act of bringing a new world into existence, made possible by the annihilation of the old world. Kagutsuchi will allow a life form of its choosing to determine the course of the new world. There must be those in Tokyo who yearn to be chosen by Kagutsuchi, in order to realize their vision. The shape of the world to come depends on who is chosen...and what their Reason is. In the vast Amala Universe, this Vortex World is not the only place where creation occurs. Kagutsuchi rises, matures, and falls in countless other places. There are millions--no, billions of worlds that you are unaware of, and they all experience the cycle of death and rebirth. That is the way of Amala, as determined by the Great Will."
The Japanese god of fire, son of Izanagi and Izanami. His mother was so badly burned when she gave birth to him that she died. Izanagi cut his son in eight pieces and from the body eight mountain gods emerged and from the blood came forth eight gods. Kagutsuchi is an alternate name of Ho-Musubi.
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
The phase changing of radiation of Kagutsuchi's energy pulse is the same as Shin Megami Tensei's traditional lunar cycle. From 0 Phase - New to 8th Phase - Full, followed by a reverse return to New Phase and back again in an endless loop. During a Full Phase, demons will act drunk, raise their attack power and become more aggressive, blocking attempts to escape battle more often. In New phase, enemies will become calm and easy for conversation, especially with the Dark Pledge skill.
Full phase is also a good time to recruit demons as their lowered inhibitions make them ask simple "yes/no" questions with no other demands, but they may ignore the Demi-fiend as well. When a demon ignores an attempt to communicate or is angered during negotiations, the enemy immediately starts their turn. Until the skill Jive Talk is learned by the Demi-fiend, Full Kagutusuchi is the only time they can speak with demons of the Dark alignment (Wilders, Haunts and Fouls) and may successfully recruit them (if they do not ignore the Demi-fiend or the Demi-fiend angers them by answering incorrectly to their question). Several skills are affected by Kagutsuchi's phase, too.
Kagutsuchi was later revealed to be the avatar of the Great Will, as seen in Nocturne. In all paths sans the True Demon path and the Rejection path, he is the final boss.
He is responsible for the creation of the next world, and whichever Reason manages to ascend his tower in the Vortex World to reach him will shape the new world. First, however, they must gain his approval, but he despises and curses those who wish to prevent creation. Therefore, he will curse the Demi-fiend if he opposes creation or supports Lucifer. Should a world successfully be created without a Reason, Kagutsuchi will question the Demi-fiend's motives in creating a world of nothing but suffering, yet will recreate the previous world regardless.
If the Demi-fiend answers the questions provided by Aradia with cowardice (Answering "Yes, I do.") and rejects all reasons without clearing the Labyrinth of Amala, Kagutsuchi will refuse to battle him and flee, never to return until the next conception. The world remains deserted and collapses into chaos where demons run rampant, and Lucifer sarcastically congratulates him and bids him farewell. The game ends with the Demi-fiend standing on top of a deserted Tokyo.
Kagutsuchi himself has the Phase Shift ability, which allows him to negate the Bright Might and Dark Might skills by moving the current phase several steps ahead. Also, he will only cast Vast Light/Infinite Light when in a Full Phase.
During the battle against Lucifer in the True Demon path, the Kagutsuchi phase becomes "DEAD," symbolized by a shattered Kagutsuchi sphere on the top-left screen. This is due to Kagutsuchi being slain in the previous battle.
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
- Unlike the rest of the battles, Kagutsuchi Phase is shifting automatically by 2 every turn. It can further push forward with the skill "Phase Shift."
- Kagutsuchi's regular Attack is Almighty element.
- Kagutsuchi's defense is tied to its Phase. All damage taken receives the following modifiers based on the Phase:
- Full: 50% damage
- 6/8: 75% damage
- Half: 100% damage
- 2/8: 150% damage
- New: 200% damage
- Kagutsuchi Phase is permanently fixed at Full during this battle, and it takes normal damage from all attacks.
- Kagutsuchi's regular Attack is Almighty element, and will hit all foes in a similar manner to the Attack All passive skill.
- Kagutsuchi is the embodiment of the sun, and like YHVH, is an avatar of the Great Will.
- He is the second to last recorded role of the late Keiji Fujiwara. Fujiwara's last recorded role is Haku in Dokapon UP! Mugen no Roulette, confirmed by Aquaplus president Naoya Shimokawa.
- 永久 dijeh.tumblr.com (March 11, 2015)
- "「うたわれるもの 偽りの仮面」以降、藤原啓治さんにはハクへ命を吹き込んでいただきました。「ドカポンUP!」はハク役として最後の収録作品となります。 ハクが多くの人々に愛されているのは、ひとえに啓治さんのおかげにほかなりません。本当に、本当にありがとうございました。" @AP_shimokawa (August 5, 2020)