Incense is special type of item in the series.
Role[edit | edit source]
Incense is a special type of item that increases a playable character's stats and fully restores their HP and MP. Typically they are only available for base stats (St, Ma, Lu, etc), increasing a single stat by 1, however some games feature Incense that can be used for HP and MP, increasing them by 10. A few games also feature incense that increase all stats by 1 or 2. However, in Shin Megami Tensei IV, each Incense found is based on the 5 stats, and using one heals all HP and MP of a character, as well as raising the stat it is named after by 3.
Types of Incense[edit | edit source]
- St: Increases strength and attack
- Ma: Increases magic, MP, magic attack, and sometimes magic defense.
- In: Increases wisdom, magic defense, MP, and sometimes magic attack.
- Vi: Increases HP and defense
- Ag: Increases hit, speed, and avoid
- Lu: Increases critical, drop rate, hit, and avoid
Persona exclusive[edit | edit source]
- Dx (replaces Ma and In): Increases dexterity, magic attack, magic defense, and SP
- HP: Increases HP by 10
- SP: Increases SP by 10
- Lucky Mallet: Increases all stats by 2
Gum[edit | edit source]
Gum is the name for the stat increasing items found in the Devil Children series and increase a stat by one point. Unlike other games they do not restore HP/MP, nor does increasing certain stats increase those two, and must either have the demon gain HP through rank up or Trainers.
Noise[edit | edit source]
Serving the same function as Incense in the Digital Devil Saga series. They increase the individual stat by 2, with the exception of HP/MP, which increases by 10.
- Power Noise: Dropped by Ongyo-Ki in Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner and Surt in Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner 2.
- Magic Noise: Dropped by Horus in both games.
- Vitality Noise: Dropped by Arahabaki in both games.
- Quick Noise: Dropped by Garuda in Avatar Tuner and Barong in Avatar Tuner 2.
- Luck Noise: Dropped by High Pixies summoned by Pixie in Avatar Tuner and Mada in Avatar Tuner 2.
- MP Noise: Dropped by Isis in Avatar Tuner and Lilith in Avatar Tuner 2.
- HP Noise: Dropped by Girimehkala in both games.
Persona 5 Royal[edit | edit source]
In Persona 5 Royal, uses of Incenses are restricted to improving the Personas the protagonist can use within the Lockdown facility in the Velvet Room. Like how they worked in classical iterations, specific Incenses improve stats by 1, though they do not restore HP/SP. In addition to that, there are stronger versions of Incense called Ambergris (+2 version) and Nirvana (+3). There is also a unique variety called Musks, which raise a point to two specified stats, and the Rasta Sandalwood, which raises 1 point to St, Ma, and Ag.
During a Fusion alarm, the effects of a freshly lit Incense is doubled.
Incenses can be bought from Jose's Shop and the Mantra Ganda specialty shop within Kichijoji, as well as being able to be found in treasure chests within Palaces, dropped by certain Shadows, and can possibly be obtained from an Itemization Accident.
Persona 5 Strikers[edit | edit source]
Unlike Persona 5 Royal, Incenses in Strikers work very similarly to their function in the Shin Megami Tensei games, but do not restore HP or SP. Incenses can only be used outside of combat. Upon use, an Incense will permanently boost a character or Persona's stats; HP and SP Incenses boost the character's HP or SP by 5, while Power, Magic, Guard, Speed, and Luck Incenses boost the St, Ma, En, Ag, and Lu respectively of the character's Persona (or any of the protagonist's currently owned Personas) by 1.
Incenses are normally very rare and are usually obtained as chest rewards, drops from special enemies, or as rewards from Requests. However, in New Game+, Sophia's Shop will sell limited quantities of every variety of Incense for a high price of ¥200,000 each (as low as ¥80,000 during a sale). Like normal items, Sophia will restock Incenses regularly between visits to the Metaverse. On Merciless, Incenses will also drop frequently from normal encounters.