"This is the Hollow Forest. The "closed realm" created by her in the TV world, the "world of the human mind...""
Hollow Forest is a dungeon exclusive to Persona 4 Golden, only available after completing the Aeon Social Link (Marie) before defeating Ameno-sagiri and if the protagonist asks Margaret to locate Marie.
"The place that gave birth to those who answer the "desires" and "wishes for lies" of humans... was that it?"
The Hollow Forest is Marie's reality within the Midnight Channel, created when she enters the TV world after regaining her memories. The Investigation Team is first taken to the Hollow Forest on February 12 by Margaret, who explains that she has formed a unique path between the TV in the cottage storage shed and this world, after finally locating Marie's whereabouts. Margaret informs them that Marie has sealed herself into this dungeon for reasons unknown, and also explains that this world is currently on the verge of collapsing. Therefore, if the team does not save Marie quickly, she will disappear along with the Hollow Forest, and all memories of her will disappear from everyone's minds.
The Hollow Forest takes an appearance similar to Yomotsu Hirasaka, as a world apparently shrouded in fog. However, there are bits and pieces of the real world seen throughout this dungeon, such as Junes signs and benches, along with haniwa and ancient Japanese artworks. This represents Marie's origin, as a spirit from ancient Japanese times, as well as her hidden desire to stay in the real world. Each of the Hollow Forest floors are named "Memories" - Memories of Parting (1F), Pain (2F), Grief (3F), Sorrow (4F), Love (5F), Suffering (6F), Anger (7F), Loneliness (8F), Invitation (9F) and Meeting (10F).
Unlike the other dungeons in the game, the Hollow Forest features several special restrictions while traversing the dungeon:
- The party is only allowed to use items and equipment found within the Hollow Forest.
- Each party member that had a turn in a fight will have their SP halved after each fight. However, there is special equipment that can be found within the dungeon in order to restore SP and to gain other beneficial effects.
- The party is not allowed to use Traesto to leave the Hollow Forest.
On the floors Memories of Parting (1F), Sorrow (4F) and Anger (7F), the party might encounter Shadows when breaking the "seals" to continue. Shadows may also appear from both regular chests and locked chests. Also, there are two "mini-bosses" that the party must face prior to the final boss, instead of the usual one.
After Marie is rescued, the dungeon begins to disappear as it no longer needs to fulfill its purpose. When the party escapes through the TV connected to the dungeon, its screen shatters.
|Fire Joue||2-4||Ice Joue||2-4||Lightning Joue||2-4||Wind Joue||2-4||Sorrow Stone||2|
|Fire Repel Joue||5-7||Ice Repel Joue||5-7||Elec Repel Joue||5-7||Wind Repel Joue||5-7||Love Stone||3-4|
|Sentou Seed||Sentou Petal||Sentou Fruit||Fire Joue||Ice Joue||Parting Stone||Pain Stone|
|Sacred Branch||Revival Bead||Chest Key||Lightning Joue||Ice Joue||Grief Stone||Sorrow Stone|
|Fire Bell||Ice Bell||Lightning Bell||Fire Repel Joue||Ice Repel Joue||Love Stone||Suffering Stone|
|Wind Bell||Fire Breaker||Ice Breaker||Elec Repel Joue||Wind Repel Joue||Anger Stone|
|Lightning Breaker||Wind Breaker|
Shuffle Time Personas
|70||Hachiman||Hierophant||66||Hell Biker||Hanged Man||68||Horus||Sun|
- box denotes rare Shadow.
- Cursed Woman's Pot appears from regular and Gold chests, and Isolated Hand only appears from Gold chests.
|Gorgeous King||77||4000||575||Phys||Fire, Ice, Elec, Wind||Light, Dark||-||-||4|
|Heaven's Giant||3333||3333||-||Phys||Fire, Ice, Elec, Wind, Light, Dark||7|
|Kusumi-no-Okami||8000||-||Phys, Fire, Ice, Elec, Wind, Light, Dark|
- The battle with Marie ends roughly 3 turns after getting her down to roughly half health.
- The battle with Kusumi-no-Okami follows right after Marie, once entering the battle with Kusumi-no-Okami, the party's health is not restored and SP will be halved.
- The Hollow Forest's specific gameplay was designed by the team that was responsible for the battles in Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey.
- The Hollow Forest is the only dungeon in the game that collapses and is destroyed after a major boss is defeated.
- The Hollow Forest contains many structures called "Haniwa," which are usually small clay dolls buried with the dead.