"That's right! The life of the entire herd is at risk out there, and it's your fault!"
- Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth: Major Characters (Antagonists)
There are five Herbivore Dinosaurs that play a major role in the movie reality Junessic Land, although it is widely implied that more appear on the island that forms the movie. They appear as green, bipedal fur covered dinosaurs with human-like features, such as hair or glasses, and are almost always present with a mocking expression.
The Herbivore Dinosaurs are weak willed, stubborn and simply follow instructions between each other, regardless of how nonsensical or unviable the decisions are. They think as a hive mind, forcing those who do not comply to their will such as Yosukesaurus to bend to them. They believe that friendship is not based on mutual trust and respect, but instead based on how many of them agree with each other, and anyone who does not agree with them do not qualify as a friend and will be lynched. Even when the carnivore dinosaurs directly threaten them, they choose not to get involved rather than fight their oppressors.
The dinosaurs do not have any respect towards and are unwilling to help their comrades, even willing to let their comrade be eaten by carnivorous dinosaurs because most of them agreed not to save her out of cowardice, even if they are responsible for her fall thanks to all of the dinosaurs not willing to do anything at all to save her. They even attempt to drive Yosukesaurus into despair by threatening to lynch him if he does not drive the humans away.
In reality, their self-destructive and reckless behavior is due to their herd mentality; none of the dinosaurs believed anything that they said, but all of them persisted since they fear being ostracized. Furthermore, despite what they claim, they are not as helpless as they seem, as they possess enough physical strength to topple down trees and combat the party and carnivores alike.
After Yosukesaurus is defeated by the party, the dinosaurs regret their selfish and irresponsible actions and finally listen to him, repaying the party's efforts by severely damaging their oppressor.
Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth
A group of dinosaurs in an alternate movie reality known as Junessic Land. They were created via genetic manipulation, and are constantly oppressed by carnivorous dinosaurs. However, the herbivore dinosaurs are bound to a rule where they will only act based on how many dinosaurs agree with them, regardless of what the decision is. Those who do not follow their will are considered outcasts and will be lynched. They constantly run away from threats such as carnivorous dinosaurs and Shadows, and despite Yosukesaurus wanting to tell the Dinosaurs to fight their oppressors, he does not have enough power to do so. The herbivores' main goal is to find "Paradise," a location described in a human book Yosukesaurus had read which claims it is unreachable by carnivores.
The party first encounters the dinosaurs escaping from a group of Shadows, leaving Yosukesaurus alone to be attacked by them. They are completely unwilling to go against their tormentors, the carnivorous dinosaur F.O.Es, even after one snatches up a herbivore with its teeth. Nobody is willing to help their friend, and they leave her to be eaten.
After the party successfully barricades the F.O.E, the herbivores begin to vote to kick them out of their group, due to the Persona users saving the captured dinosaur against the herd's ruling. The herbivores unanimously decide to leave them, and Yosukesaurus reluctantly agrees because he doesn't wish to oppose them. All of the dinosaurs flee and the party is forced to retreat.
The party finally reaches the Isle's End to confront the herbivores. It turns out that "Paradise" is nothing more than a dead end, and the herbivores all turn on Yosukesaurus because he supposedly "deceived" them. Since they think that the humans lied to them for writing the book, they force Yosukesaurus to attack the party despite being their friend. Driven by despair and powerlessness, he goes into a rampage and transforms into a carnivorous dinosaur resembling Shadow Yosuke. He calls three Herbivore Dinosaurs for help when his HP goes to half and they cast various buffs on him.
The party manages to defeat all three dinosaurs and calm Yosukesaurus. After realizing the error of their ways, the herbivores promise that they will become real friends instead of a hive mind. However, the carnivorous dinosaur F.O.E soon reaches the clearing, and it overpowers Yosukesaurus. The herbivores work together to severely damage the F.O.E, and the party successfully forces it to flee. The herbivores thank the party for their help and work together with Yosukesaurus to construct a real paradise.
It is later revealed that the herbivores' appearance and behavior are based on Hikari's friends from middle school, effectively making them cognitions. She befriended a student known as Miyuki, who has the same hairstyle and glasses as the weak-willed dinosaur, and helped her clean her desk when bullies wrote insults and dumped trash on it. Hikari mentioned seeing a dinosaur movie the other day, and invited Miyuki and the other girls to watch it together. Everyone but Miyuki declined.
The next day, Hikari's desk was ruined the same way Miyuki's was. One of the girls claimed it to be Hikari's own fault, as she associated herself with Miyuki who is a popular target for bullies. Not wanting to be dragged into it, and to purportedly protect Hikari from being hassled, the group of girls asked Miyuki to leave them alone. Hikari ignored the possibility of being bullied, only wanting them all to remain friends. The girls were not pleased, and instead voted to kick Hikari out so as to avoid trouble. Everyone agreed—including Miyuki, after she was cowed with the threat of being rejected.
The girls called Hikari weird and self-centered for having her own opinions. This results in Hikari barely having any friends in middle school and high school, and the mentioning of anyone having friends simply shuts her down. The cowardly and irresponsible behavior of the dinosaurs and their unwillingness to face the danger of carnivorous dinosaurs even when under threat are based on how all of the students distanced themselves from Hikari so they wouldn't be bullied.
Near the final confrontation against the true mastermind, in the edited version of the movie, the dinosaurs have differing opinions and actually respect Yosukesaurus and each other.
- 何やてんの!？(Entry of first one)
- What again!?
- 追放されたいの。。。(Entry of second one)
- I don't want to be kicked out...
- 悪いのはあいつら！(Entry of third one)
- It's because of them!
- まだやって！(Nasty Taunt, first)
- Go, go!
- ほら！もっとたって! (Nasty Taunt, second)
- Ok! Go once more!
- 全員やってよ！(Attack, first)
- Everyone, go for them!
- くらえ！(Attack, first)
- Eat this!
- こいつ！(Attack, first)
- This one!
- しかたないでしょ！(Makajam, first)
- I have no options but this!
- 思考がないでしょ！(Attack, second)
- I can't think!
- 決まったくことだから。。(Attack, second)
- I just wanted to finish this...
- わるいのはそっち！(Attack, second)
- THIS is the bad one!
- そうだ！(Attack, second)
- やるしかないの。(Makajam, second)
- There is no option for me but to go here.
- 矛盾居えだから。(Attack, third)
- I have a conflict with you.
- やって、ほら！(Attack, third)
- Ok, here I come!
- あんたなんか仲間じゃない！(Attack, third)
- You are not my friend!
- 消えちゃえ！(Attack, third)
- Go away!
- やめて！(Being attacked)
- もう、いや! (Being attacked)
- No, not this!
- なにそうだ!? (Being attacked)
- What's that!?
- やーば！(Being attacked)
- いーた！(Being attacked)
- It hurts!
- All of the dinosaurs that appear in the movie are female. It is unknown that any male dinosaurs save for Yosukesaurus exist in the movie reality.
- If the party kills a Herbivore Dinosaur fast enough before any more appear, the boss fight ends instantly. This will result in the party missing out Enepedia entries as each of the three dinosaurs have separate entries. Additionally, experience and gold for the fight is only rewarded after all three of them are defeated.
- There is also a glitch where the leftmost Dinosaur that is weak to Psychic will not spawn at all.
- The Herbivore Dinosaurs and their Carnivore Dinosaur F.O.E counterparts are the only cognitive actors whose appearances are based on somebody that Hikari actually knows instead of those based on past characters from the Persona series.
- The Herbivore Dinosaurs' (and also Hikari's middle school friends') behavior might refer to an actual form of emotional abuse known as isolation, where a group of children might isolate another from their friend group and view them in a derogatory fashion because of differing opinions. This results in the child's self-esteem lowering, and might result in self-loathing or an inability to socialize properly.