"But today, you entered a partnership with someone who awoke to the same power, haven't you? Involving yourself with others is an important foundation for your recovery. You've done well. That said, I am not advising the formation of superficial relationships. It must not be of frivolity, but a ring of those who would, by morals or faith, lend you their strength. In other words, they are bonds with those who have been robbed of their places to belong. The expansion of said ring will, in return, help you mature as well."
Confidant, known as Cooperation (コープ, Kōpu)? in the Japanese version, is a game mechanic in Persona 5.
This mechanic is similar to the Social Links of Persona 3 and Persona 4 and involves the protagonist building relationships with helpers around the city. Unlike Social Links, however, establishing and improving relationships with Confidants also provides various benefits outside of Persona fusions, many of which can be used in battle. Furthermore, only the events that start them and the ones that maximize them are voiced, with the exception of the Fool, Magician, Justice and Judgement Confidants as they progress with the story.
Similar to Social Links, each relationship with a certain character (or possibly a group) is represented by a major Arcana, and ranking up each Confidant grants bonuses to Personas of correlated Arcana: Experience bonus for fusion result; shorter in-game days required for training a Persona in Velvet Room to learn a passive skill for overcoming its weakness. Ranking up each Confidants also unlocks new ability or benefit which directly affects performance in Palaces or otherwise opens up massive conveniences in day-to-day activities.
|II Priestess||Makoto Niijima*||
|III Empress||Haru Okumura*||
|IV Emperor||Yusuke Kitagawa*||
|V Hierophant||Sojiro Sakura||
|VI Lovers||Ann Takamaki*||
|VII Chariot||Ryuji Sakamoto*||
|VIII Justice||Goro Akechi*||
|IX Hermit||Futaba Sakura||
|X Fortune||Chihaya Mifune||
|XI Strength||Caroline and Justine|
|XII Hanged Man||Munehisa Iwai||
|XIII Death||Tae Takemi||
|XIV Temperance||Sadayo Kawakami||
|XV Devil||Ichiko Ohya||
|XVI Tower||Shinya Oda||
|XVII Star||Hifumi Togo||
|XVIII Moon||Yuuki Mishima||
|XIX Sun||Toranosuke Yoshida||
|XX Judgement||Sae Niijima||
|Unnumbered Faith||Kasumi Yoshizawa||
|I (E) Councillor||Takuto Maruki||
* All party combatants bonus as follow with varied rank requirements:
- Unlocks Baton Pass.
- Unlocks Follow-up Attack.
- Chance to revert to the last negotiation question if the target is enraged by the answer.
- Chance to cure other party members of their ailments.
- Endure: Survive with 1 HP once in a battle when hit by a lethal or instant kill attacks.
- Protects the protagonist before getting hit by a lethal attack (single target only).
- Unlocks ally's ultimate Persona with additional skills and new elemental attributes.
List of Confidant GuidesEdit
The following pages contain comprehensive guides for each individual Confidant dialogue options and skills.
This is the general weekly schedule of the Confidants. Sometimes the availability of each Confidants can change due to certain circumstances such as social stats block or haven't finished the Confidant's Mementos request.
|The Twins||Confidant Rank Up after completing The Twins's request.|
|Mishima||Available every day even rainy days after completing his Mementos requests.|
|Yoshizawa*||Not available in the overworld|
- The game's internal data reveals that it was possible to reverse (called a "doubt" in this game) and break confidants, just like in Persona 3 and Persona 4. However, it seems to be only intended to be possible on non-party member confidants with the exception of Fool, Hierophant, Strength, Moon and Judgment.
- There are also unused files that represent ignored phone calls on all confidants save for Fool and including World despite the World Arcana not being represented by any Confidant.
- Unused dialogue also indicates that it is possible for a Persona corresponding to the Arcana of a doubted or broken Confidant to be fused, unlike in previous installments where they cannot be fused at all.
- Doubted Confidants will prohibit the protagonist from getting its benefits, while broken Confidants will prohibit any Personas of the Confidant's corresponding Arcana from getting Arcana Burst.
- With the exception of those directly affiliated with the Phantom Thieves of Hearts, and the Fool and Strength Confidants, any Confidant that becomes maxed will eventually discover the protagonist as a phantom thief, due to them revealing the names of those they are troubled by to him.
- The Sun Confidant is different from the other Confidants, as while he does learn the protagonist is a phantom thief based on observations of the protagonist, he was never troubled by anyone enough that they needed to have their heart stolen.
- Unlike the rest of the Persona installments, the Tarot Cards which are used to symbolize these relationships are written in French instead of English, as they are based on the deck. The only exception is Death, which is also unlabeled in Tarot of Marseilles and referred to as such.
- There are however deformities present in the Persona 5 variation of Tarot Cards from the original design. Below state the Deformities.
|Arcana||French||Focus of illustration/Deformitiy|
|0 Fool||Le Mat||A traveler bitten by the dog|
|I Magician||Le Bateleur||A magician performing bloody experiment|
|II Priestess||La Papesse||A priestess reading porn|
|III Empress||L'Impératrice||An empress sitting vulgarly|
|IV Emperor||L'Empereur||An emperor smoking tobacco|
|V Hierophant||Le Pape||A hierophant thumbs down|
|VI Lovers||L'Amoureux||The cherub is not focused on the center figure.|
|VII Chariot||Le Chariot||An injured charioteer|
|VIII Justice||La Justice||The scales are unbalanced by money.|
|IX Hermit||L'Ermite||A hermit blowing raspberry|
|X Fortune||La Roue de Fortune||The creature at the top of the wheel is significantly bigger|
|XI Strength||La Force||The woman has a malicious smile|
|XII Hanged Man||Le Pendu||A hanged man talking to his mobile phone|
|XIII Death||L'Arcane Sans Nom||The Grim Reaper is killing the king|
(original just depicts the Reaper surrounded by body parts)
|XIV Temperance||Tempérance||A maiden lifting up her right leg, instead of standing with both planted|
|XV Devil||Le Diable||The man and woman tied to the devil instead of the pedestal|
|XVI Tower||La Maison Dieu||Arrows raining down on the tower|
|XVII Star||L'Étoile||A maiden drinking water from one pot|
instead of pouring the content onto both water and land
|XVIII Moon||La Lune||A man attacked by the crayfish in the lake and|
the canines looking at the lake instead of howling at the moon
|XIX Sun||Le Soleil||A sun drying out the living things on the land|
|XX Judgement||Le Jugement||A skeleton folding its arms like an "X"|
instead of praying like the other two people
|I (E) Councillor Arcana||Le Consultant||The sun is now the center focus and people are worshiping it. There are also multiple people; The original Consultant only has one|
|Unnumbered Faith Arcana (False)||La Foi||The Popess is a skeleton and is pulled by a pair of devils|
|Unnumbered Faith Arcana (True)||La Foi||The Popess is now held by a pair of slaves|
|XXI World||Le Monde||A maiden playing maracas instead of holding staff in each hand|
and is heading towards the northwest of the card